Background

"For attractive lips, speak works of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge you'll never walk alone."

-Audrey Hepburn

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Where have all the YOUNG men gone.....LONG time passing..."

Not a huge fan of this dated tune, but....one has to admit it asks some very hard questions....
questions that have been flooding my mind since my arrival to what I thought would be the "Mecca" for attractive, single, successful young LDS men...a proverbial "field...white, all ready to harvest...."

Oh...I have definitely found those white fields...a little too white....

The man (40s) who hands me my newspaper every day as I exit the metro....he looks me up and down and won't give me the newspaper until he has time to give me a compliment about how beautiful I look....nice...but weird.

The man (50s) at Au bon Pain  (cafe) on the corner...where I USED to get an occasional bagel or cup of fruit in the morning.  I think it took him several minutes to count my change in between the winks and pick up lines he was slathering on me......so much for breakfast.....

Or there is the guy at work who is about my dad's age....which no offense poppa...but....having a man your age hit on me just plain FREAKS me out!  The fact that he is married makes it even worse....woof!

Or the squirly, white, nerdy man (30s) who actually smooched his lips at me as he was exiting the metro....I think my jaw dropped....

The crowning jewel in my list of the unwanted admirers....was the CHICK...yes....GIRL... at Cosi (my lunch spot) who came on to me as she was ringing me up!  I was so flustered...trying to get away as quickly as I could that I literally dropped everything I was carrying....lunch and all....on the floor! 

This brings me back to where I started...with the age-old...poignant question....

"WHERE have all the YOUNG men gone? LONG time passing...."

3 comments:

Sean and Alison said...

Eh! Good luck with this one...

Megan said...

Hi, Whitney! I just discovered your blog, and I just have to say that I know where all the young men are. They're all in my singles branch in good ol' Marysville, WA. They're a little too young, I'm afraid. Unless you're willing to wait for them while they serve missions.

Lonni said...

Ahhh Whitney... I feel your pain. I remember when I was working in Arizona, I was rendered speechless for oh, at least a month, after finding out I had a fan club in prison-- make that the women's prison. Yikes!
Keep doing what you are doing... soak up life while you can. Mr. Right will come along one of these days and your life will be completely different. Remember the ol' times and seasons saying. Relish now! Love you and love the blog.